wet carpetMold spores produce irritants and allergens, which can cause allergic reactions. Some molds can also produce potentially toxic substances known as mycotoxins. Touching or inhaling mold or mold spores can lead to a variety of health issues in sensitive individuals. Common symptoms include fever, runny nose, sneezing, skin rash, and red eyes.

Wet carpet is at high risk of mold growth. In order to survive and grow, mold needs 4 things: a surface, a food source, oxygen, and moisture. Mold spores occur naturally in the air, and if they land on damp or wet spots indoors where there’s dust to feed on, they will multiply rapidly. In the right conditions, area rugs and wall-to-wall carpeting can provide a haven for mold.

Just because it is not visible or immediately apparent on a carpeted surface doesn’t mean that mold is not growing. In fact, mold is usually only visible on a carpet surface in severe infestations, like wet carpet damaged in flooding that has remained damp for some time. In this case, the conditions are ripe for it. Even if mold growth has not actually begun, chances are it will, unless the affected carpet is completely removed within 24 to 48 hours, thoroughly cleaned and dried. Still then, there’s no guarantee that mold will not grow. It’s more than likely that the wet carpet will need to be replaced.

At Dry Foundation Technologies in Asheville, NC, we offer basement waterproofing systems, foundation stabilization, and crawlspace moisture control systems. We look forward to helping you prevent the damaging effects of water on your property!